With great dignity she welcomes all visitors who arrive in Mariehamn by ferry. In front of the Maritime Museum in Mariehamn is one of the Åland Islands most well-preserved sights. Docked in the western harbor - Västra hamnen - S/V Pommern is a large sailing ship or Windjammer. It is the only large sailing ship of its class that is still floating and has been preserved in its original shape. Today it is one of the main symbols for Mariehamn as well as the Åland Islands. This majestetic lady brings back memories of the region's past where the sea always played a central role.
Pommern was built in 1903 in Glasgow, Scotland. Its original name was Mneme. The name changed to Pommern when the the German shipping company F. Laeisz bought the ship in 1908. Gustaf Erikson from Mariehamn acquired the ship in 1923. Erikson had specialized in grain trade from Australia to Europe and Pommern was used on this route until the outbreak of World War II. At that time the ship was left in Mariehamn. The ship never reentered the trade between Australia and Europe and after a few attempts to find a use for the ship in the Baltic Sea it was finally donated to the town of Mariehamn in 1952. The ship has since 1957 been a museum ship open to the public.
Pommern is a four masted barque and it is built of steel. It is 95 meters long and 13 meters wide. The main mast is 50 meters high. The ship was operated by a crew of 26 men.
Today it's possible to admire Pommern where she lays directly outside the Åland Maritime Museum (Ålands sjöfartsmuseum) at Västra hamnen in Mariehamn. There is a combined 2 in 1 ticket for entry to the Maritime Museum and the ship. It it is possible to either visit both the attractions or visit one of them twice.
Pommern, as well as her dock, is currently under restoration and is expected to be open again for visits in the summer of 2019. You find more information on Ålands Sjöfartsmuseum's homepage >>