Just below the hill with the Bratislava Castle one will find St Martin’s Cathedral, in Slovak Katedrála svätého Martina. The cathedral is visible not only from the castle, but also from the Danube and the SNP bridge (Most SNP).
Let’s go back in time and talk a little bit about its history. The St Martin’s Cathedral was opened in the 15th century after nearly 200 years of construction. (Wow! Not as bad as La Sagrada Familia, though). During the time that Budapest was occupied by the Turks from 1563 to 1830, the cathedral acted as the coronation church for the kingdom of Hungary. In other words, during those 300 years St Martin’s Cathedral was the place for the coronation of 11 Hungarian kings and queens. This is also the reason why there is a crown on top of the church tower instead of the usual cross – a fact that is easily missed.
While we were living in Petržalka (on the other side of the Danube) it was the sight of St Martin’s Cathedral together with that of the Bratislava Castle that welcomed us to Bratislava each time we crossed the Danube on Most SNP. It is here that the old town begins and the walk through the narrow streets and cosy squares of the Staré mesto is a real treat for tourists.
The St Martin’s Cathedral is probably one of the easier sights in Bratislava to find. It is on the edge of the old town and is easily accessible by foot. It is also located near the bus station under the bridge (the buses to and from Vienna, as well as many local buses, stop here).Thus the cathedral is within easy reach when on the way to the Bratislava castle or while walking around in the old town.
More information regarding the St. Martin’s Cathedral can be found at the pages below, here you will also find opening hours.